Choosing the best roofing contractor in Grand Rapids can be a nerve-racking ordeal. You might be dealing with a leaking or damaged roof, and then you have the added stress of sorting through information on all of the available roofing contractors in your area to find one who will get the job done right, while still being affordable.
Understandably, you might not even be sure about what makes a roofing contractor good or reliable, especially if you’re a new homeowner or have never needed one before.
Today we’re sharing 14 questions to ask potential roofing contractors before you sign on the dotted line.
1. Are you a licensed roofing contractor? Codes and requirements will differ between states, which means it will help you to understand the code requirements for your area.
2. Do you have workman’s comp insurance? Protect yourself by making sure that the roofing specialist you’re hiring offers workman’s compensation insurance.
3. Do you carry general liability insurance? Verify that your roofing contractor in Grand Rapids has general liability insurance so that you won’t be responsible for covering any damage that someone else caused.
4. Do you use roofing subcontractors? Ask if they use subcontractors and then get verification that they have workman’s compensation and general liability insurance.
5. Will you remove my old roof? It’s not unheard of for roofers to give your old roof a visual inspection and make the call to shingle over it, but this inspection will fail to identify problems such as soft or rotten spots, and if those issues linger, they’ll only create larger problems for your roof in the future.
6. Are you going to install drip edge/edge metal when you install my new roof?
These are small pieces of aluminum positioned under the shingle, where it extends off the roof that guide runoff into the gutters instead of behind them, protecting the wood and fascia of your roof.
7. How will you protect the gutters during roof installation? It’s easy to forget about how the roofers will access your roof when you’re shopping for a new roof, but it’s critical for the safety of your gutters.
8. Do you bring a container for refuse material? The roofing contractor you hire should bring their own container to the job site to dispose of the refuse in – you shouldn’t be asked to supply the container or to deal with the trash when the job is finished.
9. What is your physical address and phone number? Whenever you’re preparing to hire a roofing contractor in Grand Rapids, make sure to verify their physical location. If they’re from another city or state, they may not be available to correct any mistakes or issues that arise.
10. What is the warranty on my new roof? Customers should expect to get a minimum of 25 years out of new shingles so ask about the length of the new roof’s warranty.
11. Will you have someone onsite for me to talk to during the work if I have questions? It’s important to know who the project manager is before work starts so you can direct any questions or concerns to them.
12. Will you provide a written estimate? Before you sign or agree to anything, make sure you have a detailed estimate for the job. There should be no surprise costs when the work is done.
13. What will you do if there is inclement weather while you’re working on my roof? Ask the roofing contractor in Grand Rapids what they’ll do to secure the work, and what precautions they take in the event of inclement weather, to ensure that your roof, home interior, and belongings aren’t ruined by rain, wind, or an incomplete job.
14. How will you protect my driveway and the rest of my property from damage? Ask where the roofing contractor will place trucks, tools, ladders, benches/tables, and dumpsters and how they’ll ensure that their equipment doesn’t damage your property.
If you are in need of a professional roofing contractor in Grand Rapids, call us today to schedule an estimate. We’ll be happy to answer these and any additional questions you may have.